عدد آلمُشآإركآإت-~: : 92
~][ تآإريخ آلتسجيل ][~ : 07/02/2011
~][ الإقآمة ][~ : El-oued
|موضوع: Forming plural الجمعة أبريل 01, 2011 9:34 am|| |
[ندعوك للتسجيل في المنتدى أو التعريف بنفسك لمعاينة هذه الصورة]
Plural Noun Forms
The plural form of most nouns is created simply by adding the letter 's' to the end of the word .
* minute - minutes
Nouns that end in -ch, -x, -s, -sh, z or s-like sounds, the plural is formed by adding 'es' to the end of the word.
* church - churches | box - boxes | gas - gases | bush - bushes | class - classes
Nouns that end in a single -z, the plural is formed by adding 'zes' to the end of the word.
* quiz - quizzes
Most nouns ending in -o preceded by a consonant also form their plurals by adding 'es' .
* potato - potatoes | tomato - tomatoes | volcano - volcanoes
However many newly created words and words with a Spanish or Italian origin that end in -o just add an 's'.
* photo - photos | piano - pianos | portico - porticos
Nouns ending in a consonant + y, drop the y and add 'ies'.
* party - parties | lady - ladies
Most nouns ending in -f or -fe, drop the f and add 'ves'.
* calf - calves | half - halves | wolf - wolves
Most words ending in -is, drop the -is and add -es.
* crisis - crises | hypothesis - hypotheses | oasis - oases
There are many common nouns that have irregular plurals.
* child - children | person - people | foot - feet | mouse - mice | tooth - teeth
Some nouns have identical plural and singular forms, although they are still considered to have a plural form.
* aircraft - aircraft | fish - fish | headquarters - headquarters | sheep - sheep | species - species
Uncountable nouns on the other hand have no plural form and take a singular verb (is / was ...).
* advice | information | luggage | news
Some nouns (especially those associated with two things) exist only in the plural form and take a plural verb (are / were...).
* cattle | scissors | trousers | tweezers | congratulations | pyjamas
Nouns that stem from older forms of English or are of foreign origin often have odd plurals.
* ox - oxen | index - indices or indexes
In compound nouns the plural ending is usually added to the main noun.
* court martial - courts martial | son-in-law - sons-in-law | passer-by - passers-by
عدد آلمُشآإركآإت-~: : 71
~][ تآإريخ آلتسجيل ][~ : 04/01/2011
~][العمَر ][~ : 23
~][ الإقآمة ][~ : tig-djam
|موضوع: رد: Forming plural السبت أبريل 02, 2011 10:23 am|| |
thank you for the information